I think there’s a lot of stigma out there about females traveling, and most of the time is the usual, the we can’t cope with traveling or we get lost all the time. But I’m here to end all myths about being a female and traveling.
- It’s dangerous, traveling as a female in most countries is no more dangerous than traveling around your own country, yes some countries are a lot more conservative than my own country (England) however as long as you do your research and check out everything, it’s perfectly safe its very rare that you will come across “more danger” just because of the country you’re in. It’s also no more dangerous than if you were a man traveling, you’ve just got to know your stuff and keep yourself safe.
- We’re too dippy, most travellers I know of are women and they’re highly intelligent, and incredibly successful, not to mention a lot run multiple businesses and are working their way up to being millionaires, so yeah not so dippy now, eh?
- It’s scary to be alone, in reality you’re not alone most of the time? Yes, you don’t have your friends with you or family but there are plenty of locals and other travellers, tourists etc to chat to, you’re not going to a remote dessert forever, you’re traveling the world there are billions of people. You’re not alone. So it’s not scary.
- The crime is high! It’s also very bad right on my doorstep, like literally as I’m writing this, I can smell marijuana from my neighbours, its gross, and illegal. I also hear about every tom dick and harry being arrested for drugs, assault, harassment, knife crime, brake-ins on a daily basis from my home town, do you think a bit of theft fluctuation in Brussels, is going to stop me wanting to go? Nope. I’ll just keep my change in my front pocket… Thanks though!
- Don’t drink alone! OMG this Irish bar is so dangerous surrounded by hundreds of other people enjoying a pint in the sun! no this is also false of course it’s okay to drink abroad however I wouldn’t get drunk to the point you don’t know where you are, but there’s not harm being a woman and enjoying a pint at the local.
- It’s boring for women, I’ve heard a lot of people think that women look for a beach and stay there. Who’s giving out this information?! Me personally as a woman, has a safari tour, renting a speed boat, parasailing, visiting a tomb and so much more “ungirly” activities planned for august. We’re women, we not as delicate as people think.
- You’re only looking for men…. I hate to break it to you but most women who travel are with their FAMILY (like myself) or are traveling solo for a reason such as finding themselves or wanting to see beautiful places. I think courtship it off the table 90% of the time for women who travel.
Now being a woman doesn’t mean your restricted in life, I’m not one to sit down and take orders from anyone, I’m here to live my life and provide the best life I can for my children, and traveling is on the agender as a woman. I will not be a house wife and stay at home cook, clean and do nothing more. I want adventure and to show my children that it’s okay to want more.